Working Girl film matched with a corporate menu
Starring Melanie Griffith, Harrison Ford & Sigourney Weaver
– Good old Tess McGill (Griffith) is a smart gal with large hair and a rip-snorting accent. She lives with her ratbag boyfriend (Alec Baldwin) and hangs out with best bud, Cynthia (Joan Cusack) with equally puffy hair and crazy make up.
– Tess is studying at business school while working in the sexist environment of a stockbrokers in New York City. She gets fired after dissing her boss and gets a new job with a female boss, Katherine Parker (Weaver) who, on the surface, seems like a fair woman who will do right by our Tess.
– Tess shares an awesome business idea with Katherine (who palms it off as crappola) and Miss Boss Lady flies out to go skiing in Europe where she breaks her leg.
– Meanwhile Tess sets up an interview with Jack Trainer (Ford) to broker a deal with a businessman Trask, stemming from Tess’ super-duper idea. Then Tess and Jack get intimate, fall in love and go all out with the dealio.
– Then Katherine gets back and Tess finds out that Bossy-kins and Jack have dated, Jack eventually finds out that Tess is K’s secretary and K hits the roof when she finds out that Tess has ‘stolen’ ‘her’ idea!
What kind of food do you take to work? Well here’s a menu that you can imagine our Tess chomping down on with her pal, Jack, starting with a Margarita of course! Try this Classic Margarita recipe from BBC Food.
Don’t forget to eat! Everyone loves themed food in the corporate world so let’s serve up some delish Asian food for our fine office workers (um, us!) Make these Homemade Vietnamese Spring Rolls from The Kitchn.
This is a great movie with an awesome theme song… here it is…
How good is that song! Love it. This movie is eighties through and through from the funky fashion to the young-now-old actors, the music, the acting, the storyline, the old computers and printers and everything. Gotta love an underdog movie with a crazy, horrible boss who you’d just love to punch in the face… twice!
Harrison Ford is quietly delightful and Melanie Griffith is perfect as the ditzy but super-smart gal from Staten Island. And then there’s Sigourney – awesome Sigourney. She plays the ‘bitch’ to perfection.
There’s something for everyone in this film! Check it out.
Let’s continue our Asian theme with these yummy Slow-Cooked Hoisin and Ginger Pork Wraps with Peanut Slaw from The Kitchn. How good do these look? And you can make them in bulk for all your co-workers. Brill!
Working Girl Trivia:
- Budget: $28.6 million
- This was David Duchovny’s first film – he’s one of the guests at Tess’ surprise birthday party – can you spot him?
- Weaver and Griffith followed a few female executives around their New York offices, sat in on meetings and observed how they worked before taking on their roles.
- Katherine Parker’s office scenes were filmed on level seven in one of the towers of the World Trade Center – poignant.
- Kevin Spacey was a last minute inclusion to the cast – so last minute he learned his lines on his way to the shoot.
- 39-year-old Weaver played Katherine who turned 30 in the movie.
What do you serve an office full of hungry workers for dessert? Ice cream? Cheesecake? Fruit kebabs? Oh no! This awesome Chocolate Vanilla Tuxedo Cake with Raspberry White Chocolate Buttercream from Pineapple and Coconut. Yummo!
What’s your favourite 80’s movie?
More fab films with matching food: