The Descendants film matched with recipes from paradise
Starring George Clooney, Shailene Woodley & Beau Bridges
– Matt King (Clooney) is a lawyer with two kids, Alex (Woodley) and Scottie (Amara Miller). Oh and there’s a wife but she’s had a boating accident and is in a coma. Scene set ok! King is in a frenzy, besides the devastation of his sick wife, he’s trying to work out what to do with the family land that will please ALL his cousins as well as well as deal with his two crazy daughters!
– Then he finds out that his beloved wife has been cheating on him (pre-coma of course!!) and his whole world crashes down on him. It’s a flight or fight kinda thing and he decides to go down fighting… with his crazy daughters and Alex’s even crazier friend, Sid (Nick Krause).
– Matt seeks out ‘the other man’ and basically the rest of the movie is working out how to say goodbye to his cheating wife in a healthy way while keeping the family afloat, dealing with his wife’s lover and the big deal that is still on the table.
Do you love seafood, like me? Prawns or shrimp screams Hawaii – it feels like you’re fresh from the beach with saltwater clinging to your sun-bleached hair. Sounds good, right? Transport yourself to Hawaii with this yummy seafoody dish – Hawaiian Shrimp Scampi recipe from Rasa Malaysia.
This film has George Clooney, it is set in Hawaii and is about family stuff. Need I go on? Everyone can relate to this story, whether you are a son, daughter, husband, wife, grandparent you know what goes on in families and it is often not very pretty.
It doesn’t sound like much but there is so much meat in this film. Relationships are in tatters even before the boating accident. Father to daughters, daughter to daughter, mother to daughter/s, husband to wife, man to father-in-law, man to friend, cousin to cousin, it’s all happening undercover. That is, until the accident when the truth is finally revealed.
I loved that the teenagers in this film go from being rebellious and ‘trouble’ to honest and wise. Both Alex and Sid help Matt find peace and perspective in total chaos. It’s like they’re finally being heard and valued by the adults around them. Sid’s honesty, especially, is priceless.
We all know Clooney is going to give a solid performance. They didn’t have to give him an Oscar for us to know that but his work speaks for itself. The performances of the ‘kids’ that was equally as impressive and that’s saying something. There were many emotional moments and all their performances were solid and beautiful.
This is a great film. Hawaii is always a star, I just love the place; if Australia sank tomorrow, that’s where I would live. This is a beautiful, honest, deep movie that is a keeper and that’s why it was nominated for the Best Picture Oscar.
So, apparently this next dish is as Hawaiian as Luau… maybe not, but close enough. It looks delish, anyway. Make this yummy Shoyu Chicken recipe from Texas Girl Finds Aloha.
The Descendants Trivia:
- Budget under $20,000,000
- There is an island in Hawaii that has been run by the same family since 1863, just like Matt’s family.
- In the novel, the character Scottie wears a t-shirt with the words ‘Mrs Clooney’ on it.
- The counsellor is wearing a name tag with her real name on it.
- When Matt talks about not spoiling his kids with too much money, this is based on a real quote from ba-squillionaire Warren Buffett who said, “I want to give my kids just enough so that they would feel that they could do anything, but not so much that they would feel like doing nothing.”
- The novel’s author, Kaui Hart Hemmings makes a cameo as Brian’s assistant on the phone.
Are you ready for this super-cute Hawaiian-themed dessert/afternoon tea treat? Yes? Here it is. How to Decorate Hawaiian Shirts Cookies (just like Matt’s) from Best Friends For Frosting.
Have you been to Hawaii? What did you eat when you were there?
More amazing movies with matching recipes… ta-da: